January 9, 2018
Somebody is Making Money… All the Time
During every recession and economical setback since the 1970s – three times in the ’80s, another three in the ’90s, and twice since 2000 – Hartsook has continued to raise more money with its clients than any of its competitors.
Here’s why: We don’t follow trends. We swim upstream. For over three decades, Hartsook has consistently raised money counter to trends, projections, and assessments.
We have continued to raise money throughout every economic cycle by following three proven fundraising facts:
Somebody is making money all the time
There’s the residential apartment owner whose banker is telling him to raise his rents, because his occupancy is too high. There’s the petroleum transporter whose family has been in the business for 80 years. There’s the banker who works at his family’s privately held bank, but gives to nonprofits via his own family foundation. At Hartsook we understand that in every economy, someone is making money. As a Fortune 500 CEO once said: “I’ve been watching Hartsook for twenty-five years. It’s not just a business, it’s a culture. Hartsook finds money when other consulting firms and nonprofits are wringing their hands.”
When everyone is moving in one direction, opportunity often lies in the opposite direction
Sam Walton taught me more than twenty years ago, when everyone is moving in one direction, go the other way. Our antennas go up at Hartsook when we hear people say, “Nobody’s giving money away!” That’s when we press in. In December of 2009, when others pulled back, we raised over $147 million for twenty-one clients. While other consulting firms gave up, our clients cleaned up.
Stay the course
Whenever we hear dire projections for the future, we remind clients to stay course. Throughout recessions, elections, crises, and catastrophes, Hartsook has continued to guide its clients to greater and greater levels of success.
Next stops on the road to achieving Hartsook’s mission of growing philanthropy by 25 percent in the next 20 years:
May 23-25, 2018
Boy Scouts of America Annual Meeting
July 18-19, 2018
2018 Virginia Fund Raising Institute Conference
Lead Sponsor: Hartsook
August 29-31, 2018
Boy Scouts of America Top Hands
Resources for Smart Fundraising Available on Kindle
Keep up to date on the latest fundraising trends with the Kindle ASR Media collection:
- Reality Fundraising – Ideas, insights and lessons learned through hundreds of best practices from nonprofit professionals nationwide by Bob Hartsook
- Fundraising Leadership – The definitive source for empowering board members to become pro-active fundraising leaders by Karin L. Cox
- Getting Your Ducks in a Row – A tool box of strategies for effective campaign fundraising by Bob Hartsook
- Million Dollar Gifts – Real-life stories of million-dollar gifts that will amaze and inspire your fundraising by Bob Hartsook
- Closing that Gift – “29 secrets” to closing a gift and avoiding the top 10 solicitation mistakes by Bob Hartsook
- Performance-Driven Fundraising – Handy, yet entertaining reference tool for new and seasoned fundraisers by Matthew J. Beem
- Nobody Wants to Give Money Away! – Stories, humor and more than two decades of fundraising experience in which Bob explores the nine fundraising truths essential to success by Bob Hartsook
- On The Money! – An enlightening collection of success stories and lessons learned from nonprofit fundraising campaigns nationwide by Bob Hartsook
- $231 Billion Raised and Counting – by Bob Hartsook, Matthew J. Beem, Karin Cox and over a dozen Hartsook consultants and clients. Hartsook shares stories and “Strategies for Success” that will educate and inspire
Hartsook has pushed and challenged the status quo, and nobody in the world has had a greater impact on the fundraising profession than Bob Hartsook. The strategies shared in $231 Billion Raised and Counting are the culmination of Bob’s many years as a fundraiser, consultant, and philanthropist – as he and co-authors Matthew J. Beem and Karin Cox bring together insights from the many consultants who make up the extraordinary Hartsook team. Go here to purchase your copy for a special price of $10 (plus shipping and handling).
On the Web
Blogs and articles. President and CEO Matthew J. Beem and Founder and Chairman Bob Hartsook regularly share simple, but powerful messages about philanthropy, fundraising and the power of relationships.
Facebook: Become a Fan and a Friend. Fundraising tips, event photos, news and updates – see what’s new at Hartsook by becoming a fan of us on Facebook. Friend Hartsook Founder and Chair Bob Hartsook, CEO Matthew J. Beem, and Chief Creative Officer Karin Cox for even more updates!
Visit the Hartsook website for:
– Educational opportunities
– Books/reference articles
– Conference/workshop speakers
Strategies for Success explores smart ideas, connecting with thousands of fundraising professionals. We welcome your best practices contributions or comments. Send to Strategies for Success editor Karin Cox, [email protected]. If you’d like a free subscription to Strategies for Success or its monthly companion, eHartsook on Philanthropy, contact [email protected].