May 8, 2018
Never Underestimate the Importance of Thanking Donors
Everyone enjoys feeling appreciated, including donors. Effective fundraisers understand the importance of saying “thank you” and expressing sincere appreciation in a variety of ways.
Seeing their gifts at work
Donors feel a great sense of satisfaction when they see their dollars at work. Arrange for a donor to observe or participate in an activity or event funded by their charitable gifts. For example, invite a donor who supports the arts to attend a children’s theatre performance. Nothing says “thank you” better than the face of a smiling child.
Support your donor’s cause
Chances are your donors support a variety of nonprofits in addition to yours. A unique way to demonstrate your appreciation for a donor is to support one of their causes. Volunteer for an agency or attend a fundraising event for an organization supported by your donor. You’ll not only send a message of gratitude to your donor, but also strengthen the relationship with the donor by sharing a common interest.
A simple notecard with a lovely compliment written just for Mrs. Tate” was a small gesture that meant so much. It was all it took to make her day. Today, electronic forms of communication are the norm, so receiving a personal handwritten card or letter in the mail is an uncommon occurrence that attracts notice. Sending handwritten notes to donors for any occasion – whether in thanks for a gift or to acknowledge a birthday, anniversary or other life event – conveys appreciation in a personal way.
“Thank you” should be second nature to effective fundraisers who express their gratitude in a variety of meaningful and individual ways. Donors who feel appreciated for their charitable nature are more likely to continue their support and increase their donations. The importance of saying thank you cannot be overstated.
Guest contributor: Theresa A. Hearn, Executive Director, Derby Community Foundation
Next stops on the road to achieving Hartsook’s mission of growing philanthropy by 25 percent in the next 20 years:
May 23-25, 2018
Boy Scouts of America Annual Meeting
June 6-7, 2018
LeadingAge Virginia Annual Conference
June 18-19, 2018
NHH – Norwegian School of Economics
June 21-22, 2018
National Taiwan University
June 25-26, 2018
BX2018, Australian Government
Keynote: John List
August 13-24, 2018
August 29-31, 2018
Boy Scouts of America Top Hands
September 19-20, 2018
Science of Philanthropy Institute Conference 2018
October 5-6, 2018
Advances with Field Experiments
October 16-18, 2018
University of Basel
8th Bernoulli Lecture for the Behavioral Sciences
Resources for Smart Fundraising Available on Kindle
Keep up to date on the latest fundraising trends with the Kindle ASR Media collection:
- Reality Fundraising – Ideas, insights and lessons learned through hundreds of best practices from nonprofit professionals nationwide by Bob Hartsook
- Fundraising Leadership – The definitive source for empowering board members to become pro-active fundraising leaders by Karin L. Cox
- Getting Your Ducks in a Row – A tool box of strategies for effective campaign fundraising by Bob Hartsook
- Million Dollar Gifts – Real-life stories of million-dollar gifts that will amaze and inspire your fundraising by Bob Hartsook
- Closing that Gift – “29 secrets” to closing a gift and avoiding the top 10 solicitation mistakes by Bob Hartsook
- Performance-Driven Fundraising – Handy, yet entertaining reference tool for new and seasoned fundraisers by Matthew J. Beem
- Nobody Wants to Give Money Away! – Stories, humor and more than two decades of fundraising experience in which Bob explores the nine fundraising truths essential to success by Bob Hartsook
- On The Money! – An enlightening collection of success stories and lessons learned from nonprofit fundraising campaigns nationwide by Bob Hartsook
- $231 Billion Raised and Counting – by Bob Hartsook, Matthew J. Beem, Karin Cox and over a dozen Hartsook consultants and clients. Hartsook shares stories and “Strategies for Success” that will educate and inspire
Book Deal of the Month
Fundraising Leadership: The Essential Guide for Nonprofit Board Members Who Want to Make a Lasting Difference (ASR Media) – an exciting book by Karin L. Cox – is the definitive source for empowering board members to become pro-active fundraising leaders. Click here for a special price of $10 (plus shipping and handling).
On the Web
|Timely Tips and Tweets! Follow us on Twitter at HartsookTips for tips and giveaways.|
|Facebook: Become a Fan and a Friend. Fundraising tips, event photos, news and updates – see what’s new at Hartsook by becoming a fan of us on Facebook. Friend Hartsook Founder and Chair Bob Hartsook, CEO Matthew J. Beem, and Chief Creative Officer Karin Cox for even more updates!|
Visit the Hartsook website for:
– Educational opportunities
– Books/reference articles
– Conference/workshop speakers
Strategies for Success explores smart ideas, connecting with thousands of fundraising professionals. We welcome your best practices contributions or comments. Send to Strategies for Success editor Karin Cox, [email protected]. If you’d like a free subscription to Strategies for Success or its monthly companion, eHartsook on Philanthropy, contact [email protected].