November 14, 2018
Are You Building a Culture of Philanthropy?
Professional fundraisers know where the buck stops. However, in order to raise the most money possible, every member of the staff should understand the role they play in growing philanthropy. The value and mindset of philanthropy needs to permeate the organization’s culture, beginning with gratitude.
Having a culture of philanthropy includes a variety of objectives where everyone is committed to thanking and appreciating donors, telling the story and demonstrating outcomes, connecting new prospects, and deepening relationships.
Here are three aspects of building a culture of philanthropy:
Relationships are the key.
Keep relationships on the highest rung of a fundraising mindset. Donors may initially give to a cause because of who asked them or because of the focus of the campaign, but building strong relationships based on their interests will keep them engaged and giving.
Board development is central to building a fundraising culture.
As a board considers its own growth and membership, it should continue to seek individuals who understand the importance and the necessity of fundraising as a means to advance the mission. Without underestimating the roles others can play, whenever possible, individuals of influence, affluence or both should be cultivated for board leadership roles.
Fundraising responsibilities must be defined and shared.
To build and reinforce a philanthropic culture, all staff members should be aware of the roles they can play in ensuring the organization has the support it needs. Everyone should be able to articulate the fundraising goals and the purposes for which the funds are being raised. What will philanthropy support and how will it impact those you serve?
To build a culture of philanthropy, everyone in the organization should understand that they play an important role in ensuring the mission is fulfilled through increased fundraising. In addition, all staff should learn major donors’ names and make sure they feel appreciated; and try to identify potential donors and connect them with the organization and development staff. Whether answering the phone at work or telling a neighbor about your mission, staff members can make all the difference. And donors know the difference.
Karin Cox, Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Creative Office
Next stops on the road to achieving Hartsook’s mission of growing philanthropy by 25 percent in the next 20 years:
February 1, 2019
IGNITE 2019: Conference
February 4-6, 2019
The Great Fundraising Masterclass
February 7-8, 2019
LSE Annual Behavioural Public Policy Lecture
March 4-6, 2019
Think Double! Fundraising Masterclass
Resources for Smart Fundraising Available on Kindle
Keep up to date on the latest fundraising trends with the Kindle ASR Media collection:
- Reality Fundraising – Ideas, insights and lessons learned through hundreds of best practices from nonprofit professionals nationwide by Bob Hartsook
- Fundraising Leadership – The definitive source for empowering board members to become pro-active fundraising leaders by Karin L. Cox
- Getting Your Ducks in a Row – A tool box of strategies for effective campaign fundraising by Bob Hartsook
- Million Dollar Gifts – Real-life stories of million-dollar gifts that will amaze and inspire your fundraising by Bob Hartsook
- Closing that Gift – “29 secrets” to closing a gift and avoiding the top 10 solicitation mistakes by Bob Hartsook
- Performance-Driven Fundraising – Handy, yet entertaining reference tool for new and seasoned fundraisers by Matthew J. Beem
- Nobody Wants to Give Money Away! – Stories, humor and more than two decades of fundraising experience in which Bob explores the nine fundraising truths essential to success by Bob Hartsook
- On The Money! – An enlightening collection of success stories and lessons learned from nonprofit fundraising campaigns nationwide by Bob Hartsook
- $231 Billion Raised and Counting – by Bob Hartsook, Matthew J. Beem, Karin Cox and over a dozen Hartsook consultants and clients. Hartsook shares stories and “Strategies for Success” that will educate and inspire
On the Money! (ASR Media) is an enlightening collection of success stories and lessons learned from 25 nonprofit fundraising campaigns nationwide. Click here to order On the Money! for a special price of $10 (plus shipping and handling).
On the Web
|Timely Tips and Tweets! Follow us on Twitter at HartsookTips for tips and giveaways.|
|Facebook: Become a Fan and a Friend. Fundraising tips, event photos, news and updates – see what’s new at Hartsook by becoming a fan of us on Facebook. Friend Hartsook Founder and Chair Bob Hartsook, CEO Matthew J. Beem, and Chief Creative Officer Karin Cox for even more updates!|
Visit the Hartsook website for:
– Educational opportunities
– Books/reference articles
– Conference/workshop speakers
Strategies for Success explores smart ideas, connecting with thousands of fundraising professionals. We welcome your best practices contributions or comments. Send to Strategies for Success editor Karin Cox, [email protected]. If you’d like a free subscription to Strategies for Success or its monthly companion, eHartsook on Philanthropy, contact [email protected].